Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Helping randomly

I do not know what happened and how it happened and I am still wondering what happened.

While I was walking back to home for lunch, I saw a young couple a few meters ahead of me. A thought went through my mind that they seem to be normal couple just talking with each other.

When I was near enough, the guy approached me and asked whether I speak English. I thought they might have lost some path or looking for some directions and replied "Yes". In a polite but in a bit apologetic manner he asked particularly for 3€. I was taken back and glanced at the girl, most of her head was covered with the hood of her blue jacket but her eyes also said that she is sad and apologetic but helpless.

I asked a couple of questions and the guy answered with confidence as if sensing that I am ready to help. Then I asked "why do they need the money for". "To eat something - we lost our money". With the way they were speaking and their eyes seemed honest. My conscious mind was (and still) suspicious.

I had this split second to make a decision, whether to help them or not.A thought just came to my mind - I must help them but not entirely. My intentions are pure and to help someone, someone whose proximity is comforting and have answered initial questions of conscious mind. If they are honest and in need - I will achieve  what my intention was. If they are dishonest, I might not have achieved what I wanted but at least in my heart, I know my intentions are pure and will not feel bad for not helping the needy.

When I gave them 2€ their eyes were lit and said "thank you" as if someone has given them bread.

I still have lot of questions in my mind
- should I have given them more money?
- should I have taken them to a restaurant and paid for their lunch?
- there are lot of options - should I have done this or that!!!

I also ask myself, will I help any other couple next time? What if I meet the same couple again in the evening asking for more money?

Don't know answers for many thoughts yet but it a BLINK moment in my life and I will lets say - forget it and move forward as I would like to maintain this a silent "act of kindness" in my bag of memories.

No comments: